Your home’s safety and mechanical systems are part of what keeps you and your family safe and sound. Regular maintenance is essential to those systems serving you for many years as well as maintaining your family’s comfort. Don’t let little problems go unattended. Here are four of your home’s systems that deserve your attention throughout the year.
- Fire alarms (Spring and Fall)
- Whenever the clocks are turned back or forward, it’s time to check your fire alarms and/or carbon monoxide alarms. Since these simple devices can literally save your life and the lives of your family members, it’s essential that you check them twice a year and replace the batteries at that time. Even if your old batteries seem OK, replace them anyway every time you adjust the clocks for daylight savings time.
- Pipes (Winter)
- Every year without fail, we hear the inevitable stories about frozen pipes. When those pipes burst, there is usually significant water damage and a potential threat to your safety and health. Depending on the location of the pipe that burst, personal safety may be compromised. If water damage is not properly remediated than your home could suffer from mold, making it unhealthy for you and your family. It’s just not worth it. Turn those pipes off or wrap them, but make sure you take the steps necessary to ensure pipes are not allowed to freeze because we guarantee that frozen pipes will burst.
- Security/Lighting (Summer)
- Regardless of the neighborhood you live in, home security is an important issue that should command your time and attention at least a few times each year. Ensuring that your home is well-lit, well-guarded and secure from criminals will provide you with peace of mind and security when in your home or away from it. Make sure the perimeter of your home is well lit, with all lights fully functional. Motion-sensor lights and cameras are very popular and very effective. Consider them when maintaining and upgrading your home’s security and external lighting. You and your family can never be too safe.
- Home Mechanical Systems (Every 90 Days)
- Most people don’t pay much attention to their home’s mechanical system, until there is an emergency issue. That’s no way to maintain the essential mechanical in your home. Boilers, furnaces, heating and cooling systems and laundry system should be checked every 90 days for basic maintenance and operations. Don’t put off necessary and routine maintenance. Doing so will guarantee a bigger problem and a bigger bill later on. If your home’s mechanical system experience any functional issues whatsoever, it’s important to have them checked out as soon as possible. If you’re not sure of who to contact, give us a call and we’ll help steer you towards a few reliable, professional providers.
Often times, tragedies and emergencies can be prevented with regular maintenance and simply paying attention to how your home’s systems are operating. If something in your home isn’t working properly, let a licensed service provider take a look at it. Addressing the four areas above as we described will help ensure the comfort and safety of you and your family. Nothing is more important than that.